Easy to whip up and with few ingredients. Traditionally made with guanciale (cured pork cheek) – but bacon works well too. Using cream is considered sacrilege by some but preferred by others; you decide!
serves 4 | 15 minutes cooking
- 500g spaghetti
- 4 egg yolks OR 2 egg yolks + 50g double cream
- 75g grated parmesan or pecorino
- 100g chopped bacon
- Start frying the bacon
- Place spaghetti in salted boiling water
- Carefully crack eggshells in half and siphon out the whites, adding yolks to a bowl. If you’re making with cream, add that in here too – plus the cheese. Season with pepper
- Pour any fat out of the frying pan, then add in the spaghetti. Once cooler, add the contents of the bowl and mix gently
- Chuck on your chopped parsley before serving.